Thursday, March 20, 2014

A couple of porch updates

I think we're all itching for summer. At least I am. A few days of 50 degree temps has me ready to bust out the loungers and whip up some mojitos. Unfortunately, I live in Minnesota, so summer is still a ways out (we have quite a bit of snow left on the ground), but that hasn't stopped me from doing some serious porch planning.

First up, I swapped out the Pottery Barn Bettina pillows (really, really old but you can find similar here). I feel like I say this 50 times a day, but pillows make SUCH a difference and it is totally worth the splurge to throw a few really high end, designer ones in the mix. I am obsessed with my Schumacher Chiang Mai Dragon pillows I bought from an Etsy seller a few years ago (sadly that seller closed shop, but these are the same fabric) and love how they look with the pink Pottery Barn ones I found on super clearance last fall. After the swap, Sam even said, "Hey, I really like how the pillows on the porch look." This was completely unsolicited I might add. Such a small change really helped give me direction with the room. I'm thinking blue and pink with pops of greenery.



The round mirror below was found at Lowe's around 3 years ago for $18, and I'm thinking it needs a paint job. I like a mirror in every room because they toss around so much light and make the space feel much larger. Any ideas on color? I'm just not sure. Is white too boring? Or maybe gold? Help! I think I'll hang it on that wall by the couch.


I found this IKEA hack on Pinterest (where else?) and fell in love. I think this coffee table is the perfect size for the porch and it's only $50! The hit of gold would look amazing with the pink and blue and the glass won't take up much space visually-- always a plus when you aren't dealing with a large space. And did I mention it's only $50. Oh IKEA, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. 


I found this super cute bamboo table on Craigslist for $35 (I'd paint the whole thing white) and thought it'd be great at the other end of the porch for the occasional dinner out there. Sadly, Sam nixed it and said we "weren't ready" for that yet. We aren't?! Maybe if enough people comment, I can convince him otherwise. Come on guys, I NEED YOU NOW! How perfect would it be? And again, $35! Also, faux bamboo!! Sigh…


On the wall behind the oh so perfect bamboo table, I want to put these gorgeous botanical prints  (that are totally free!!). I mean, awesome, right? Pop 'em in some RIBBA frames and you've got yourself a statement wall for around $75. 


Yes, there's still flooring to replace and trim to paint, but I think just a few small changes will really help me enjoy the space more until we have the time, energy and funds for those bigger projects. What are you working on right now? Or are you totally engrossed in March madness? Sadly, my Hawkeyes are already out, but I won't let that keep me from a few lazy evenings in front of the couch with a cold Coors Light ;) 

Your comments make my day! I'd love to hear from you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment