Saturday, May 31, 2014

the ugliest bathroom you ever did see

It's time. Time to show you all. This is the bathroom we've been living with for the last year:









There is literally not one thing I like. I even hate the toilet, and I didn't even know it was possible to hate a toilet. Probably the worst thing is that the previous homeowners completed this renovation 10 years ago. I would've guessed 20. We gut our bathroom in Iowa City in 2009 (before and after photos below), and besides the vessel sinks I still stand by our choices. There is just no excuse for the mirrors and country blue. Why?! Why?! 



The bathroom is a decent size- 8.5'x10'- but the layout is making inefficient use of the space. I've got a long list of wants for this room, including double vanities and a built in washer and dryer, so we're still trying to figure out where everything will go. Even though a walk in shower is nice, it, combined with the big whirlpool tub, eat up so much room. Sam and I are more than ok with replacing them with a standard bathtub, which will hopefully allow for more room for all those must-haves. I mean, second floor laundry will literally change my life. I am so tired of walking all the way down to the basement with a huge basket, fighting all the baby gates. It's not ideal, but totally do-able until we figure out the best possible layout for this room. Of course, I've started a Pinterest board for keeping track of colors and fixtures. It includes lots of yummy carrera and calcutta marble, clean and crisp subway tile, and shiny chrome. Here are some of my favorites:




all images via decor pad


I'm pretty predictable, but the heart wants what the heart wants. And we live in an old house, so these keep with the character and style of the home (although no matter the age, this is the style I gravitate towards every.single.time). 

I am so giddy to get started, but we're taking our time, saving our money, and constantly scouting out good deals on fixtures and vanities. I want this bathroom to be beautiful AND functional, so I'm ok with taking some time to make sure we get it all right. Can't wait to keep you guys updated on the progress! 


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it.
    Kitchen Faucets

    ReplyDelete