Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Be our guest

Or not…cause our guest room is pretty pathetic. We are so fortunate to have family and friends that are willing to travel to see us, and it's not uncommon for us to be "booked" 4 out of 6 weekends. While this is amazing and keeps me from getting homesick, it's also stressful because of the construction zone that is our house. We literally have a project going at all times, with random tools and materials scattered everywhere. I'm almost always embarrassed to have company, but know by now that our friends and family don't care. They just want to see us (this is a great read for those like me who have anxiety welcoming guests into our imperfect homes). Still, finishing this space is a top priority for me. Knowing that our guests have a comfortable and nicely decorated room to retreat to would make me so much less stressed about the disastrous state of the rest of the house. The room is small, so it shouldn't take too much. I just need to come up with a plan.

The current wall color is a yellowish cream, and the trim is unpainted/natural. Sam has agreed to let me paint it white to match the other bedrooms. Cue the confetti and balloons! So what's taking me so long, right? You'd think I'd be all over that. Here are my excuses:

/ /  we've had a lot of company this winter, like sometimes 4 weekends in a row. Super fun, but not enough turnaround time to get much done.

/ / doing stuff with a toddler is hard. Isla has never been a great napper, and most of them are 60-90 min max. Basically enough time to throw in some laundry, go through the mail, pick up, and vacuum.

/ / I have major design ADD and can't make a decision on color scheme

/ / Pillows, headboards, nightstands, lamps, etc aren't cheap. If budget weren't an issue, we'd all have awesomely decorated homes, right?!

I've been looking at things I already have, and am trying to use those as starting off points for the room. Use what you've got, right? First up, this adorable Serena and Lily striped coral/melon fabric that my sweet sister-in-law gave me after she used it as a backdrop for my baby shower.


I've always loved that color, but especially after seeing it all over Caitlin Wilson's Philadelphia penthouse. Have you seen the pictures? They're all over Pinterest and are some of my favorite rooms ever. Don't you want to move right in?! So dreamy…



all images via

I read once that Caitlin considers coral a neutral, and I must say that I agree. Look how nicely it plays with navy, berry, gold and pink. And how badly do you want a coral couch now?! 

So my starting off point is to have a few Euros made from the striped fabric. Then I'm thinking one of Caitlin's gold pillows (busted- totally have a design crush on this woman). They're all gorgeous but I kind of love this one:

I have this side table and mirror, both from Target, in the room already:


The room is starting to get a little gold heavy, so I think another color/print is necessary, just not sure what yet. I'm also undecided on a headboard and wall color, which are both pretty major elements of the room. Any suggestions on wall color? Cause I needed to get on that, like, yesterday. I'm leaning toward something super light, almost white. I feel like white walls are all the rage these days, but they really do provide such a nice blank canvas for colorful art and accessories. 

With any luck, this room will start shaping up soon. Wish me luck, and keep the suggestions coming. I obviously need some help! 

No comments:

Post a Comment